Home Forums Main Discussion Forum What a Rip Off

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kevin Steller Feb 13, 2017 at 12:57 pm.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Mike Snow
    Participant

I actually packed a lunch the night before to bring to work today. A nice pastrami sandwich. Although I usually eat in the cafeteria at work. Most of the food is weighed .. but even a soup and a salad will run you 3 dollars and change, which is normally what I spend there. I am normally pretty content with this since bringing my own lunch of tuna fish or chicken cutlet on toast is only a little less than the workplace cafeteria. Anyway I thought well since I brought a sandwich I can get a hot chocolate at some hipster kinda coffee shop place after I ate.

They didn’t have it on the menu and, I hate asking things like “how much is a hot chocolate” or “how much is a slice that slice of pizza” And sure enough you just get ripped off.

Am I becoming an old fart but, I remember this stuff was like 75 cents and a coffee was too. Breakfast sandwiches were like 2-3 dollars and a lunch sandwich was like 5 bucks. Now it’s like hot chocolate is like 4 dollars everywhere; and breakfast sandwiches are the same as lunch sandwiches.

I guess I’ll be packing another lunch but skipping the hot chocolate.

Kevin Steller
    Participant

Do you have access to hot water at work? Bring a packet of hot chocolate with you 🙂

Fred Kinkaid
    Participant

You’re at a restaurant and ask how much a pint of Pabst is. They have to run off and ask because they never know off the top of their heads. They come back and give you the ripoff price, let’s say $3.25. You then ask how much it is for a 64 ounce pitcher, wanting to save money. Again they run off to ask, come back and tell you a pitcher of Pabst is…. yes, more than 4 times $3.25. Something like $14.30. So if you don’t bother to ask, and just get a pitcher you get ripped off even more than ordering it by the pint. Sigh……….. And then it turns out the “pint” they serve is really 14 ounces and the “64 ounce” pitcher is more like 48 ounces.

Kevin Steller
    Participant

I was in my local grocery store this week and bread was over $4 for the first time. I remember back in college early 2000s it was $1.10.

But inflation has been ‘nil’ according to the US government. Lol.

The Starbucks peppermint hot chocolate is amazing. Only kind I purchase. Yum!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.